Save the Date | Mark Your Calendars for Friday, July 28, 2023 | 8th Annual USD School of Law – RJS LAW Tax Controversy Institute
Our 8th Annual USD School of Law – RJS LAW Tax Controversy Institute will be held on Friday, July 28, 2023. The Institute is one of the best tax controversy events in the nation held annually in San Diego. The region’s top tax attorneys, enrolled agents (EAs), certified public accountants (CPAs), law and business school professors will discuss topics including government loan relief, and abuses, challenges in cross-border transactions, and practical and realistic solutions in International Tax, Trust, Estate Planning, and Tax matters.
“We Bring the Tax Community Together”
A Leading Educational Event for Tax Professionals
2023 Institute Will Have Two Locations:
Conference Location – Registration Starts at 7:30 a.m.
Nexus Theater, Knauss Center for Business Education
Reception Location – 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m
Garden of the Sea, Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice University of San Diego
The Richard Carpenter Excellence in Tax Award is given to an individual who exemplifies honesty, integrity, ethics, and compassion throughout his/her careers in the field of tax controversy and has demonstrated outstanding dedication and expertise while representing taxpayers before the federal and state governments.
For the past 30 years, Richard Carpenter has been the leading IRS tax specialist in San Diego. He has devoted his entire legal career to defending hardworking taxpayers against the powerful reaches of the Internal Revenue Service. He began his career as a CPA when he worked for an international CPA firm in the Wall Street section of New York City. He then decided to attend law school where he received his Juris Doctor law degree from the University of San Diego School of Law.
Richard Carpenter has been an Adjunct Tax Law Professor at the University of San Diego School of Law for 30 years. He teaches both the Tax Court Litigation class as well as the Criminal Tax Fraud class. Richard has written 14 published tax law articles, some of which are the leading articles in the United States in resolving civil and criminal tax disputes. Over the past 30 years, Richard Carpenter has been dedicated to helping thousands of clients resolve their tax disputes with the IRS and the State of California, saving them millions of dollars.
Register Now | Get Tickets – CLICK HERE
2023 (Tentative) Agenda – Subject to change
7:30 a.m. – Registration & Continental Breakfast
Introductory Speaker & Opening Remarks
- James Lee – Chief, IRS Criminal Investigations
Panel 1 – Estate Planning Panel: Practical and Realistic Solutions in Trust, Estate Planning, & Tax Matters
- Moderator: Brian Malloy, Of Counsel, RJS LAW
- Jenny Hill Bratt, Partner, Withers Bergman LLP
- Brent Wilsey, President, Wilsey Asset Management
- Jerryl S. Cohen, Partner, Freeman Freeman & Smiley LLP
Ten Minute Break
Panel 2 – International Tax Panel: Challenges of Cross-Border Transactions
- Moderator: Andrea Cisneros Valdez – Of Counsel, RJS LAW
- Carlos Guiterrez, Ambassador of Mexico in San Diego
- Mary Robberson, Partner, Robberson Schroedter
- A. Lavar Taylor, Principal at Law Offices of A. Lavar Taylor, LLP
- Darren Guillot, IRS Deputy Commissioner SBSE Collection & Operations Support
Moderator Keynote Speaker Luncheon – Presentation of Richard Carpenter Excellence in Tax Award
Panel 3 – Controversy Panel: Ten Mistakes Practitioners Make
- Moderator: Richard Carpenter, Tax Attorney, Richard Carpenter Tax Law Office, Adjunct Professor of Law, USD School of Law
- Jonathan Amitrano, Partner at Law Offices of A. Lavar Taylor, LLP
- Judge Emin Toro, Judge at United States Tax Court
- Chad Nardiello, Principal at Nardiello, Turanchik, LLP
- Steven L. Jager, Partner, Fineman, West and Company, LLP
10 Minute Break
Panel 4 – Government Loans Panel: IRS Cares about CARES Act Abuses: PPP, EIDL, & other Government Covid Relief Audits/Criminal Investigations
- Moderator: Sam Imandoust, Of Counsel, RJS LAW
- Moderator: Kaveh Imandoust, JD, CPA, MBT – RJS LAW
- Joseph Orabona, Senior Litigation Counsel, United States Attorney’s Office, Southern District of California
- Jason Powell, Supervisory Special Agent, San Diego, Group 16, IRS
- Dylan M. Aste, Assistant United States Attorney, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Southern District of California
- Ronson J. Shamoun, CEO and Principal Attorney, RJS LAW
5 Minute Break
Panel 5 – Criminal Tax Workshop
- Moderator: TBD
- Victor Song, COO, Integritas3
- Sandra R. Brown, Principal, Hochman Salkin Toscher Perez P.C.
- John D. (Don) Fort, Director of Investigations, Kostelanetz LLP
- Judge Allison H. Goddard, Magistrate Judge, United States District Court, Southern District of California
- Randy S. Grossman, United States Attorney,
5:30 p.m. – 7:30p.m. – Networking Reception with Hosted Bar and Hors d’Oevres at Garden of the Sea, Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice University of San Diego
The University of San Diego School of Law is a State Bar of California-approved MCLE provider. RJS LAW is a registered Continuing Education provider with the IRS. Please check back for the number of credit hours offered.
Parking at the University of San Diego
The closest public parking is located in the West Parking Structure on campus. From Linda Vista Rd, use the West Entrance at Marion Way. Follow signs to West Parking Structure after the parking kiosk stop.
Map & Directions
Registration Starts at 7:30am – Nexus Theater, Knauss Center for Business Education
Hosted Bar and Hors d’Oevres starts 5:30pm – Garden of the Sea, Joan B. Kroc Institute for Peace & Justice University of San Diego