International tax matters are uniquely complicated. Whether you live in the United States and owe taxes abroad, you live overseas and owe reporting or payment obligations to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), or you are dealing with an investigation or enforcement matter under the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) or any other statute, in order to avoid interest, fines, and other penalties, it is important that you discuss your obligations with an experienced international tax attorney.
International Tax Matters that Require Legal Representation
The international tax attorneys at RJS Law represent individual and corporate taxpayers in the United States and abroad. We provide advice and counseling regarding U.S. and international tax compliance; strategic tax planning; and audits and investigations involving the IRS, the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), and other domestic and international agencies. We provide representation for U.S. Tax Court proceedings as well, relying on our attorneys’ extensive trial experience to protect our clients’ financial interests to the fullest extent possible.
Our firm’s international tax practice encompasses all cross-border tax-related issues, including:
- U.S. federal tax law compliance for U.S. citizens, resident aliens, and expatriates living overseas
- U.S. federal tax law compliance for foreign citizens and companies residing or doing business in the United States
- Individual and corporate cross-border income tax planning, estate tax planning, and other tax planning matters
- Voluntary disclosure of foreign bank accounts and foreign financial assets under FATCA and other laws
- Tax fraud, anti-money laundering, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Practices (RICO) Act, and other criminal investigations
- Issues involving tax treaties and amnesty programs
- IRS audits and investigations
- International tax agency audits and investigations
- U.S. Tax Court cases involving international tax matters
Various types of transactions can trigger reporting requirements and potential tax liability. For citizens of the United States and certain other countries, simply owning property overseas can have tax-related legal implications. This applies not only to physical assets such as real estate and items of personal property but financial accounts and digital assets as well. Our tax attorneys assist clients with tax planning, reporting, and enforcement matters involving:
- Real and personal property in the U.S. and abroad
- Safety deposit boxes in the U.S. and abroad
- The U.S. and foreign currency
- Domestic and foreign financial accounts and securities
- Cryptocurrency and other digital assets
Making Informed Decisions about International Tax Reporting, Payment, and Compliance
When it comes to tax matters, in many cases, it can be difficult to even know where to begin. Relying on experienced professional guidance is critical, and making strategic decisions focused on establishing compliance and avoiding liability requires the advice of experienced legal counsel. At RJS Law, our international tax attorneys can thoroughly assess your tax obligations and provide you with a clear path forward. If you are facing scrutiny from the IRS, FinCEN, or any other domestic or tax agency, we can deal with the agents on your behalf, and we can steer the inquiry toward a favorable resolution.
If you need international tax help, the first step is to get in touch. We provide complimentary initial consultations, and we will be happy to explain everything you need to know about working with our firm. Contact us today to learn why clients around the world trust RJS Law, and why we have been named the winner of the Union-Tribune San Diego’s Best Tax Law Firm five years in a row.
Speak with an International Tax Attorney at RJS Law
To request a complimentary initial consultation with an international tax attorney at RJS law, please call 619-595-1655 or contact us online. We will arrange for you to speak with one of our attorneys in confidence as soon as possible.